NEW HERE? READ ME FIRST

My family started this "No-Sugar-No-Flour" (NSNF) challenge in August 2009. I posted a lot of background and "how to start" info in those first few posts. To better understand WHAT we are doing and HOW we are doing it, please take a few minutes and go back to the ARCHIVES and read the first four posts beginning August 2009.

We started strong in '09, had great success, but got too confident and quit too soon. Valuable lesson learned. We've "started back" twice since then and also had success, but were not as dedicated as needed. So here we are in summer of 2012 and we are starting again. We've had our ups and downs but we have not given up. We are going to put our story out there to help make us more accountable and hope you support us.

My 2 teen girls will be blogging as well so my only rule is you have to BE NICE! If you can't say something nice, GO AWAY. We hope to inspire someone but this is our journey. You are welcome to join us and support us but it's hard enough without having naysayers. Love us or leave us... there's no in between.

We welcome your prayers for success!!
Jennifer

Monday, June 4, 2012

Mon., June 4 - Doc follow-up

Jennifer here...

Had my follow-up appointment today with my doc to have my first B12 shot (along with a lesson on how to give them to myself) and a glucose tolerance test.  It wasn't as bad as I remember when I was pregnant.  I'll get results by the end of the week.  Had to fast before the test and then the glucose test was over a 2-hour period so it was almost 1pm before I got home.  Don't know why but I was so tired!  Snuck in a restless short nap and finally got a chance to eat about 3pm so today was not a good "food journal" day, but I have stuck to the NSNF for 2 weeks now -- no exceptions!  That doesn't mean that every step inside the grocery store doesn't pull me toward something I should not eat but I have resisted.  Today is the 2-week mark and I'm still at a 6lb loss.  Sorta frustrated since I was at 6lbs since day 10.  Will need to pick-up the exercise, which I despise.  Doc said that since my B12 was so low, that there's a good chance that when we get levels back up, my metabolism will pick back up.  It looks like I'll get an increased dose of thyroid meds too so that might help as well.  Seems I've been pushing against a wall trying to lose weight with these 2 issues. 

I made the crock-pot chicken tacos last night with a few alterations.  It was not my favorite so I won't make it again.  The salsa made it too runny so it was a mess.  I'll just stick with the chicken breast shredded and the taco seasoning/water as the taco recipe usually calls for.  It ended up being just a regular taco night after all was said and done.  We have chicken left over so it was saved for lunch today.  Regardless of what we eat, I love sitting down with my whole family to eat.

So here's my crazy food journal for today (Monday) -- no new recipes.  Will be making shrimp and grits tomorrow!!

Breakfast/Lunch - (First meal today was at 3pm because of the fasting for the doctor appointment)
- Chicken nachos -- used Kroger nacho chips with leftover chicken from last night with grated cheese melted in the microwave, then a "dollop" of low fat sour cream and about a tablespoon of leftover guacamole.
- 2 dill pickle slices (I know that does not go with Mexican but I was CRAVING them and I can't remember the last time I had a pickle spear!!  They were fabulous!!)  Guess I needed something salty to offset all the sugar that glucose test gave me.  It is probably why I am craving sugar again as well.  It takes me about 3 days to get over the initial sugar craving when I start eating this way so hoping this urge will be short lived.

Snack
- Apple with peanut butter
- 3 strawberries

Dinner
- I froze macaroni/cheese/chicken casserole I made about a week ago so I pulled that out to reheat for dinner. 

I'm really dragging tonite.  I have been dragging all day today so I'll be calling it a night early to see if I can get back some of my energy.  Many carpools for kids tomorrow and somewhere in there, I am going to get a haircut.  It's about 2 inches too long for me!!  And I'm hoping Ms. L'Oreal will be visiting this week as well!!  heehee!

Thanks for following along!
Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer I am so happy u have done so well! Don't focus on the weight and just know u are getting healthier by the minute! Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your frustration. I have been on the NFNS since Mothers Day and have lost 4.5 lbs. Gaine it lost it, gained one lb, lost it...Ugh....I am being very faithful too but nothing is happening. Hang in there and thank you for your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one other thing I'm going to try and be more aware of this week is calories -- I'm sorta afraid that I have ended up choosing foods that fit NSNF but are high calorie and that is stalling weight loss. I am going to be more aware to go for fruit as a snack this week and see what that does. Would love to hear what you are doing too. You might have suggestions I can use. <3

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I totally blew it yesterday! Ugh!! Need to start all over again. Ate out of stress and I knew it at the time. Need more willpower. Miss your blogs. Hope all is okay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your comment made me a little teary-eyed, really. It's nice to know that someone can be encouraged or actually misses a post is heartwarming. Thank you for following along. Please know that I completely understand how disappointing it is to "blow it" and really that is the only thing that has kept me from "blowing it"!! I remind myself that I will HATE myself in the morning and whatever it was that I cheated eating will not be worth throwing away 3 weeks of hard work. I also hear Dr. P's words ringing in my ears that cheating puts you back to Day 1 and I know how hard it was to get here and I'm so afraid that if I have to "start over" at this point, I won't. BUT, don't beat yourself up -- you can't. I fight with myself every time I walk in the kitchen (though it is much easier now since I have taken out EVERY item in my house that doesn't comply 100% with NSNF), and every time I pull out of my driveway. Driving by every fast food place that I used to drive through daily is the worst teasing ever. I keep saying I just need to get through breakfast, or just get past lunch. Just start again with me. <3

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Please add your name so we know who is commenting.